Question:
IT Networking Mentor wanted?
nal2us2
2011-08-16 09:52:13 UTC
I am looking to get back into IT to help me with my current job. Is there someone out there I can get with on the weekends to get back up to speed on such things as :
Cisco firewall solutions, WAN/LAN connectivity solutions,VPN (IPSec, SSLVPN, OpenVPN, MPLS, T1, Fractional T1, Frame relay, Point-to-Point, etc., via Cisco, 3Com, Nortel, Hewlett Packard, monitoring and packet logging via Cisco MARS, Unix Syslog, ITIL model, Data Center engineering, project management responsibilities, ticket logging via HP Openview/Radix/Remedy/ARS ticketing systems, L3/L4 support, administration of IP Address space, DHCP administration and DNS hostmastering for managed domains, allocation of Net15/16 & RFC1918 address space and NTP (Network Time Protocol) server management. Also looking to brush up on the following pieces of equipment:
Cisco Switches (6500, 5000, 3500, 2900).
·         Nortel Networks Switches (325, 400, 1400, 1600, 3500, 5000, 8000)
·         Hewlett-Packard Switches (ProCurve 2500, 2600, 4100, 5400, etc…)
·         Cisco Pix (535, 525, 520, 515, 506, 501), Cisco ASA5000 Series, FWSM, VPN Concentrator 3000 series, Cisco IOS Firewall feature set (IOS 12.X).
·         Cisco IDS/IPS (4210, 4215, 4220, 4230, 4235, 4240, 4250, 4255, 4260, 4270), IDS/IPS Modules
·         Checkpoint Firewalls (FW-1, VPN-1, UTM-1, Power-1, R55, R60, R65, R70.x)
·         Juniper CLI, Juinper OS, JNCIA, JNCIS
·         IBM/ISS IDS & IPS Appliances (M10, M30, M50, G-Series)
·         OC-12, OC-3, DS3, T-1, and ISDN PRI’s and BRI’s, Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet) FDDI, Token Ring.
·         Routing Protocol (BGP4, OSPF, EIGRP, IGRP, RIP, IS-IS), Routed Protocol (TCP/IP, IPX/SPX).
·         Implementation traffic filters using Standard and Extended access-lists, Distribute-Lists, and Route Maps.
·         Punch Blocks, Tone Tracers, Modems, CSU/DSU’s, Professional Modular Plug Crimper.
·         Unix/HPUX/Linux, Win 95/98, Win-NT 4.0, Win 2000 Prof., Win 2000 Server, Win 2003 Server, Win Vista, MS Office, Lotus Notes

I am in the Secaucus New Jersey area and would love to find a local mentor for help. Does any such person exist?
Four answers:
agravanea
2011-08-16 09:57:16 UTC
If you dont mind doing online "coursework", you dont need a person to do it.

Check out any of these places and see what they have that you are looking for

http://www.marcandangel.com/2010/11/15/12-dozen-places-to-self-educate-yourself-online/
Quadratic
2011-08-16 20:15:31 UTC
My suggestion right off the bat would be to focus rather than using a shotgun approach like this. That`s quite a laundry list of buzz words, vendors and technologies. You say it`s to help you with your job, so prioritize things that are most relevant to your job.

Also, did you write this list? A lot of these really just looks like it was taken from some other context. If you need to "study RFC 1918", for example, I'd suggest reading RFC 1918. Also a lot of these relate to old technologies that aren't likely relevant to any IT job.

Most of these things are within my skillsets, but you should probably just ask specific questions rather than ask for a general tutour here. That's more suited for something like craigslist or kijiji.
theriot
2017-01-03 13:53:52 UTC
What do you mean by potential of networking? Are you pertaining to networking as in AMWAY form of agencies. For God's sake, stay remote from those. they are such scams and that they manage their contractor like rubbish. they are no longer something yet pyramid schemes.
?
2016-12-02 11:15:19 UTC
What do you advise by using networking? Are you pertaining to networking as in AMWAY form of companies. For God's sake, stay removed from those. they're such scams and that they take care of their contractor like rubbish. they're no longer something yet pyramid schemes.