Question:
How do you find the network key for a netgear wireless set up?
2011-02-24 16:01:09 UTC
I am trying to set up my lap top with a wireless connection, when I try to connect it it asks for a network key. I have tried the network password and a few other things, None of this works and a window pops up saying... "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii charecters or 10 or 26 hexidecimal charecters."
Five answers:
jasoncollege24
2011-02-24 17:03:13 UTC
If the wireless network is not your own, then you need to ask the network administrator for the network key. If the network is yours, then you can follow the steps below to attempt to find your network key.

NOTE Not all routers are the same. some of the below options may not apply to you.

Some wireless routers come preconfigured for wireless security. Most preconfigured routers will have a WEP, or WPA key written on it somewhere. If you see this written on your router somewhere, then use that as your key. If not, keep reading.

If the wireless network router was provided by your ISP, then you may need to contact them to find out what the configured network key is.

1 Connect to your router using a standard network (ethernet) cable, then use your web browser to access the router's setup page. This is typically http://192.168.1.1

2 If your router asks you for a password, please enter your password. If your router was never configured with a password, then usually it will have something generic. You can try some of the below credentials to login, or read your router's manual or get help from their website to learn the default login.

Username: admin

Password:

Username: admin

Password: password

Username:

Password: administator

3. Once you've managed to access your router, look for a link to wireless settings, or wireless security.

4 Once you find the correct page, you will see some fields located on the page marked Key 1, Key 2, Key 3 etc. The key with the check box, or radio button (or whichever key the drop down menu specifies) is the key you need to access your wireless network.

5. Once you locate your correct key, I suggest writing it down.

Hope this helps.
2016-11-30 09:48:20 UTC
connect with the router using a cable and visit the setup website for the router using your browser (information are interior the handbook) visit the on the spot setup website enable WPA protection - do no longer use WEP - it is been cracked. supply your router a diverse call - it is likewise stated as the SSID enter a password to your WPA encryption. It additionally familiar because of the fact the community key. Now shop your putting and disconnect enter the community key into your computing gadget to connect wirelessly
Willie W
2011-02-24 16:12:14 UTC
First check to see if the network you are connected to is actually the network you created.

Next check the security settings you set up on your router, your lap tops must match. for example if you used WPA, WPA2, or TSK, on the router, you must choose those same settings on your laptop when you set up the wireless connection.
2011-02-24 16:03:59 UTC
hold in the tiny black reset button in for 5secs and release, wait for it to bootup again...this will remove the key
the_benchman_nomore
2011-02-24 16:03:33 UTC
ask the administrator?