Question:
netgear router problems?
dss
2009-02-16 13:08:08 UTC
Hi I wonder if anyone has any answers for me. I have a netgear router wgr614 v5 which has been great for the last couple of years. This last week i haven't been able to get online with it. It will show it's connected with excellent strength but the wireless light isn't on on the router (the tick) and it doesnt connect. Tonight I have tried to get in the router settings by going to 192.168.1.1 I type admin for the username and password for the passwrod but it says unauthorised. I am now stumped. I tried phoning netgear but my warranty has now run out and they want $95 to get live help ARRGH!!

Can anyone tell me whats causing either problem please? Has my router finally died?

Thanks for any help :)

Debby.
Three answers:
GTB
2009-02-16 13:17:52 UTC
Did you log onto the router with a pc linked via cat5 cable to the router? Never use a wireless link to do this.

Is the router IP address in fact 192.168.1.1? Did you change the user name and password from the factory default and since then lost the password and user name?

Can you successfully ping the default gateway IP address using command prompt?

Although Netgear (as well as Belkin, D Link, and Linksys) are low end home grade routers, you should see over 2 years of life from them unless they were subject to electric surge (as from an electric storm).

If all else fails, before you toss the unit, go to the maker's web site, download the manual for the unit, and check how to reset it. Usually there ia a reset button that will erase the configuration and return it to factory default status. Once this is done, reconfigure the router including wireless. It will give you the default user name and password.

Once you have it working, check and see if the maker has newer firmware available on his site and if so, upgrade firmware as the router maker directs you from his site. After firmware upgrade, configure the wireless configuration.
Pip
2009-02-16 13:32:57 UTC
If you were prompted for a user name and password, then you are hitting a router. Hopefully it's yours and not your neighbor's.

I hate to mention this, but if you left your password in your router as the default, then anyone in your neighborhood could have changed the settings on your router and locked you out.

The only way to fix that, would be to reset the router to it's factory default settings by pressing and holding the reset button for 10 seconds until the power light flickers. Then set it up again.... only be sure to enable some type of encryption and change the default password to something other than "password".
2009-02-17 02:43:06 UTC
confirm

http://computer-network-problems.blogspot.com/