Question:
Router problems?
Tony F
2006-10-09 14:29:34 UTC
I am at a college and I want to put wireless internet in my room. However, when I want to connect to the internet without a router I have to enter a user name an password sometimes. Once it is entered I can use the internet. My problem is that when I connect the router to the wall and then my computer to the router, I don't get the prompt to enter the username and password, and therefore can't log on to the internet. It gives my router an IP address and my router gives one to me, but when I open up IE it says I don't have a connection. Anyone know how to enable the router to pass on my user name and pass or what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.
Five answers:
piquet
2006-10-09 14:31:01 UTC
you need to enter the configuration page of your router. it's normally http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 but you'd have to check the router's manual to be sure.

within that configuration page you can enter your internet connection's username and password so that they won't be asked for when you try to access the internet.
2006-10-09 21:35:58 UTC
Check the terms and conditions for using the internet at your college. At my universtity, it is against the rules to have a router connected to the internet socket in any room in halls of residence. Breaking that rule here gets a ban on my internet connection.

If there is nothing about routers/DHCP servers being allowed to connect, ask your college how to do it.
treseuropean
2006-10-09 21:30:53 UTC
Try spoofing your router's mac address to the computer that you initially used to connect to the internet.
al3obaidi
2006-10-09 21:42:51 UTC
just configure the encryption to your router , enter your user name and password and connect your PC to the router , i am sure you will have service now
Bruce__MA
2006-10-09 21:52:06 UTC
You have to config your router but your ISP may need to know your router's IP. Can you see your router? Can you see your network?