Question:
How to use 2 Lan at same time in Windows 2003 ?
avissoft
2014-05-15 03:32:49 UTC
Hi,

I have a PC running Windows 2003. I have 2 lan cards in it of which the config is following:

Lan 1 (Private Network):
IP: 10.250.233.130
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.250.233.129
DNS: 10.250.10.10

Lan 2 (Internet):
IP: 192.168.1.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 8.8.8.8 or any opendns

The porblem is that only 1 of the lan card is working at a time.

I need Lan 2 in order to RDP to this PC. And I need Lan 1 working at same time becuase it has a specifc app running.

But when I put DNS of both then RDP stops working.

If i remove DNS of Lan 2 (Internet) then RDP stops working but Lan 1 (Private Network) starts working.

I cannot touch Lan 1 config as its provided by 3rd party.
I can only do changes to Lan 2 config so both things should work.

Please advice.

Thanks.
Four answers:
2014-05-15 07:24:17 UTC
You don't need a router... your Windows Server is your Router... Many networks are setup like your config...., basically it stops users from accessing your Internet without AD permission.

Is your Internet Sharing Enable...

On your Internet LAN 2?

Also your IP Subnet is wrong on your LAN 1... the subnet should be 255.0.0.0
2014-05-15 03:54:01 UTC
Yes, use to Router
?
2014-05-15 12:22:14 UTC
First, you are mixing things up. i assume you want to rdp using LAN 2 than access some app on LAN 1. You don't need to route packets between them.

You don't need 2 gateways. The default gateway says "give the packet to this ip if I don't know where to go". But you have only 2 places to go, the 10.250.33 net and the internet. So depending on how it chooses the default gateway, you are going to cut something off.

You don't need to setup multiple DNS. Just use your external one.

I'm guessing you are using DHCP on LAN 1, just make it static or unclick the dynamic parts you don't need, like gateway and DNS. Try to connect to services via ip, not name, to test. If you need name binding on the 10 side, you might use a hosts file. You can even leave it dhcp, but use static instead and put in a dhcp reservation on the dhcp server (you ignore the DHCP packet, you are just using the reserved ip, since the dhcp server can't really check if you use dynamic or static.)

Now there might be some AD ramifications, but as far as what you show, (rdp accessing a local net)

it should work if you do some changes.
Partyboss
2014-05-15 03:43:45 UTC
You need to get a "router". It can route traffic from different networks for you. Trying to make windows do your routing it asking for trouble.