Question:
My computer won't connect to the internet?
Lizzie_bee
2008-03-09 20:49:45 UTC
I can't figure out what's wrong with it. it will say "you are connected to the network" but on the other thing it says "Not Connected"
Seven answers:
virtualrealitys
2008-03-09 20:56:38 UTC
Much more information is needed this is poorly asked queston.

Can't connect to the internet.

Broadband or Dialup?

What method do you usually use to connect to the internet?

You can't honestly expect to get a resolution to your problem by asking a question with no details about the situation.
2008-03-10 04:15:57 UTC
Your computer may not be connected to the Internet, but it could be an issue with the router or IP addressing on your computer. Can you ping your default gateway, this should be the router. Can you do a traceroute to an external IP like 4.2.2.2 and see where the ping timeouts (even though it may be filtering ICMP requests such as PING and Traceroute). What about DNS, is that configured and working correctly? Can you ping the DNS server and try doing a NSLOOKUP to see if Internet addresses are resolving. DHCP may not be working and you could be assigned the APIPA address of 169.x.x.x, if so that is your issue and confirm where you should be getting an IP address from (the router or a DHCP server). Just a few basic things to try and look into.
Dave
2008-03-10 05:23:47 UTC
Is it a secure network? On some WLANs, you will get a connection to the access point - and the icon at the bottom of XP will show connected, but you won't have access. This can happen if the AP has an encryption key but you try to connect without authenticating.

Are you trying to connect with your personal computer? You may have to talk to the IT department to get the WEP/WPA key.
Jambo
2008-03-10 04:02:17 UTC
If you are using a router, switch it's power off at the wall and after 2 minutes, switch it back on again. Try and connect once more as this is a common problem.
Kevin H
2008-03-10 04:36:17 UTC
open Internet explorer then go to tools go to the

connections tab then go the option Lan settings uncheck the proxy server box if checked if it is not then i dont know what to tell I do but I dont feel like explaining the rest
Ronda B
2008-03-10 04:00:16 UTC
You are obviously on the internet so it must be working.
whata waste
2008-03-10 03:55:41 UTC
can you get on the Internet?