Question:
How to set up router ( WiFi )?
Tushar
2013-09-02 10:32:54 UTC
I need to know few things about router
But first make me clear on this,do I need to configure my router with my lappy using Ethernet cable,then after configuring do I always need to connect it with cable or it is required only for first time only.or I can use the same laptop to connect to internet using WiFi after configuring...see I have a router n will get connection in two days...i know that he's gonna charge me configuration but I dont want to pay..i dnt know what kind of connection it is but kind of cable (lan) with no model...
Four answers:
2013-09-02 10:41:14 UTC
Modern routers are very simple to set up, actually you don't have to do anything. Once you have your line set up with internet access connect it to the wall phone socket, and to the power socket. Turn it on and wait while a bunch of usually green leds flicker a lot. After a while (the first time it might take a few minutes, so don't panic), you will see your network in your laptop. Connect and enter the password which is usually on a sticker somewhere in the router case, usually at the bottom. That's it.

Everything should work just fine, including P2P, like torrent downloads, etc. Enjoy! ☼
2013-09-02 17:55:37 UTC
ROUTER CONFIGURATION::

Download the manual if you don't have one. You'll have to do a Internet search for your specific model and include the terms "manual" or "setup" in your search.

Connect a PC or laptop via Ethernet to one of the router's LAN ports and follow the instructions in the manual to set it up.

You can set up a router via a WiFi connection assuming you have the administrative login password.

I would not recommend this, if you lose the WiFi connection while you are in the process of configuration, it may be impossible to reestablish the WiFi connection without resetting the router. The best way to configure a router is via a direct Ethernet connection.

The wireless network name (SSID) and password used for wireless security (encryption) and are not the same as the administrative username and password used to log in and configure the router.

Passwords in the router user manual or printed on the back or underside of wireless routers are the factory defaults. For security these passwords are changed (or should have been changed) when the router is first configured.

If you don't know the login password you'll have to reset the router to factory default state. The instructions will be in the manual.

If the router is reset to factory default, thus erasing all user modified settings then it will revert to the default passwords. Be sure to change the password of the administrative interface of your router from the factory default for security.

Wireless connections also require security configuration to prevent anyone with a WiFi in range of your router from connecting to your network. They could do malicious deeds, such as hack into your network, or just leech off of your Internet bandwidth which can slow your Internet connection to a crawl.

Wireless SSID (WiFi Name), password and security type are configured in the wireless settings.

Wireless setup is not too difficult, Just follow the instructions in the router manual or wizard set up program. If you're having problems either pay someone to set it up for you or find a knowledgeable friend to configure it. Once the wireless network settings are configured it's a fairly trouble-free system.

Once it's setup you can disconnect the Ethernet cable and use the wireless connection.

Good Luck...
featherawr
2013-09-02 18:22:59 UTC
If you don't know what model the router is, as long as your computer is connected to the device you should be able to configure it by entering it's IP address in a browser's (Chrome, Internet Explorer) address bar. Different brands use different IP addresses so I would try these:

IP addresses:

* 192.168.1.1

* 192.168.0.1

* 192.168.1.254

* 192.168.0.254

After that you will be sent to a login page, you must enter a username & password from here. You can find this by Googling " username password" or you may have to Google the brand you see at the login page, such as " username password", though you may have to go through a couple to find the right one.

From here you can go into the WiFi / wireless section and change the SSID (name), the encryption (WPA2/AES is good) and the passphrase (WiFi password).

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Jack
2013-09-02 17:38:08 UTC
If your router came with instructions sit down and read them thoroughly. If not go on the manufacturers website and download them.