Question:
LINUX Samba configuration?
amitdelpanwar
2007-01-29 01:19:46 UTC
Please help me on to configure windows -linux networking with following enviroments.
Linux side:-
1: linux machine name: amit
2: linux machine IP : 192.168.0.185

windows side:-
1: windows XP Pro machince name: wincl1
2: windows XP Pro user name is praveen
3: windows XP Pro user(praveen) password is 1234564
4: windows XP Pro machine IP : 192.168.0.41

Both windows and linux is able to pings eachothers with IP and netbos name too.

please give smb.conf file on following enviroments.
Five answers:
2007-02-01 21:55:12 UTC
Samba Setup Guide for Linux

Before we get started with the Samba setup guide, I would like to point a few very important details that will lay the groundwork for a successful Samba setup.

1) In coming to this website, it is assumed that you have a working TCP/IP network. This meaning that all pc's are on the same subnet, IP range, and that you are able to ping all your pc's by name and IP. If your network does not meet these conditions, there is no sense in proceeding further as Samba requires a properly configured TCP/IP network in order to function properly.

For help with Windows networking click here . This website has the most comprehensive Windows networking howto.....bar none.

For linux, due the varied amount of distro's available, it would be almost impossible to list every single distro/network setup here or anywhere for that matter!! However for a general overview of Linux networking click here. Also do not forget about your distro's manuals or manpages.

If you are feeling adventurous and would like a more comprehensive look at TCP/IP network infrastructure this is the place here.

2) Again coming to this website it is further assumed that you have Samba installed and running on your pc. If not, you can look on your Distro CD's, or download the source code from www.samba.org , or if you are using Redhat or Mandrake, the lastest rpm's can be downloaded from www.rpmfind.net . Also there are some generic Samba (they are called PLD ..Polished Linux Distribution) rpm's if your distro supports the rpm format.

3) You have a basic knowledge of Linux, utilizing file editors, and Konqueror as we are going to setup Samba without using Swat or Webmin. For those who don't have a GUI installed on your Linux pc.......well you are going to have to rely on using good ole Emacs or other text editors.

4) You are logged on as root or have root priveleges on the Linux pc.

5) Finally all examples in this tutorial are based on the Mandrake (9.1) and Redhat (9.0) distributions. Other distro's may use different directories, file locations, commands etc., however the underlying and basic Samba functions are the same.

http://samba.netfirms.com/

http://samba.netfirms.com/sambconf.htm

:> peace

.
2007-01-31 15:22:00 UTC
I know a quick way to communicate with your windows machine from your Linux box without setting up samba.

Open konquoror and type in

smb://192.168.0.41/C$

enter your windows user name and passwd and bingo there is your C drive.

If you want to go vice versa without setting up samba use ssh client that can be located here

http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshellwks/non-commercial.html

type in your Linux machine ip address, username and password and bam there is your directory on Linux.

That will give you an alternative just in case samba quite doesn't get it. (I have trouble with it also).

RJ
2007-01-29 10:40:58 UTC
click on start->system setting/serversetting/sambaserver

Goto server setting menu

workgroup= put ur workgroup name

description=put ur server name

security automode =user

auto server:

encryptpassword=yes

guest =no guest

then adduser:

put unix share name:

password:

windows username

then

share a directory under /home/ur usernam with RW permission doing all these restart samba server.

at windows side

windows machine must also be in same workgroup

Refer this website:

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/sambaserver.shtml
2014-02-16 10:26:48 UTC
This guide helps to configure the samba server. And then I was searching for a way to share file from windows windows to linux....

Found the below link http://www.vmexplore.com/access-windows-shares-from-linux/
praveen k
2007-01-29 09:26:57 UTC
hey! good moment.

i dont know how to answr ur question but i have a media file.dat

for installing samba. if u want it mail me at

kpraveen_1219@yahoo.com

best regards , bye ,

yours praveen