Question:
Cisco VPN router to Verizon Fios. WAN Light not on.?
Jen
2008-06-07 02:34:06 UTC
This has stumped all the networking people that I've talked to.

I'm working from home starting Monday. I am connecting a Verizon Fios router -> Cisco Router -> Cisco IP phone -> PC.

At first, the WAN light was on and flashing, but it wasn't getting a local IP. We were stumped, found out it wasn't configured (they didn't save the changes apparently) and took it back to be configured properly.

Got it back and now we're getting a local IP from the Cisco router itself...but the WAN light does not come on anymore. We've tried using a crossover cable and still don't have any luck. When plugging the cable in initially it sometimes will light up and flash for a few seconds but then lose the connection and turn off.

My home PC is getting a fine connection through just the Verizon Fios router.

Can anyone assist me with this or tell me where we can look? I only have until Sunday evening to get this resolved by myself (the networking guys at my company were no real help.)
Four answers:
2008-06-07 05:04:33 UTC
Did the unit get set with a static IP when they did the configuration? It may have one set for the network being used for the initial set up and was not reset to dhcp or to one that is in the range of the system you are connected to. IT sometimes has the least experieced do this type of thing and the either don't know or don't care about the user since those that work from home are sometimes considered extra support.
Yvonne
2016-08-06 08:13:54 UTC
2
poebassman
2008-06-07 05:27:17 UTC
Jen, did you pay for the professional installation that they offer? If so... call verizon to diagnose and fix the problem.

Just a quicky check... make sure the fiber termination on the outside of the house is plugged in. If it isn't, you won't see the link on the WAN port of your Cisco router.

It could be that when they modified the local interface on your Cisco router, they also modified the configuration of the WAN interface causing it to be down. I know this might be a long shot but ... Did they give you the admin user and password on the Cisco router? If so, log in and note the console errors. You can type the command "Show Logging" to see the syslog. Post back what you see.
karie
2016-05-25 04:21:18 UTC
if you're plugging an ethernet cable from the wall to your pc and you're getting connection, but not from the wall to the router; what's on the other side of that wall outlet? It sounds like you may need a crossover cable to go from the wall to the router, instead of a standard ethernet patch cable.