Question:
I have DSL internet with router to operate 3 PCS I need to make a local network between these PCS thro Router?
yasminah2005
2006-08-08 02:25:57 UTC
I need the 3 PCS to share folders & Printers PLS help me by telling me how can I make this local network through the Router

Thank you
Yasminah
Six answers:
kydts
2006-08-08 03:42:38 UTC
This should work for computers attached via ethernet cables to the router.

Use the "setup a home or small network" wizard. It should be available under the network connections window. Look in the top left hand corner. Run this on the first computer, again as the other poster stated, this is assuming that you are using Windows XP on all of your computers.

When you get into the wizard, Select the option that states "This computer connects through a residential gateway or another computer" You can just leave the name and description the way they are by default, Then when you get to the Workgroup window, you want to write down what it has there, Or you can change it to something else, you will need this for the other two computers. Then turn on file and printer sharing. When you have done this, you can then run the wizard on the other two coomputers, if you need to change work group names you will have to reboot the pc's before the new settings take place. Also the printers SHOULD automatically share between the computers with XP installed, and you will also have the default shared folder on each PC called "Shared Documents". At this point you should be able to browse the network, under the My Network Places group and see the other two computers from the other ones.

As I stated the above steps should work for computers connected with cables. Now if you are doing this via wireless instead, the first thing you want to do is use the Wireless Network setup wizard, and setup the wireless network.

When you run the wizard it will allow you to save the settings to a thumb drive, which makes setting up the other computers painless for the wireless network setup. Now after you have the wireless network setup, go back to the top here, and use the instructions above and you should be using file and print sharing between your computers in a matter of minutes at that point.
notthateazy
2006-08-08 11:01:51 UTC
Ask the question again, but this time include some information. The answer will depend on the following: the type of router you have, do you have Ethernet cards on the PCs? Wired or wireless? What Operating system are you using on the PCs (Win2000, Win98, Win95, WinXP Home, Win XP Pro)? What type of printers and how are they connected (Print servers or PC connected)

If you can supply all the above information I'm sure you'll get lot's of concise answers and I would be happy to provide a complete answer myself.

Good luck.
Deepak
2006-08-08 09:41:00 UTC
Use the networking wizard to create the networking keys etc on the PC with the internet connection.(presumably you use Windows on all the PCs). Choose the encryption method etc. Note down the settings and then choose the create new connection wizard on the client PCs and enter the same. I have created wireless network in my home and its quite simple really. For more reading you could go to www.networkingpipeline.com
modd z
2006-08-15 00:20:53 UTC
Enable the file and printer sharing options. Move or safe your files for sharing to the Shared folder.Go to Help n Support from the start menu,choose networking and you'll be able to see the diagrams and how to setup your network.

Good luck.
Mr B
2006-08-08 09:32:23 UTC
O my, this is the hardest thing to do, i have play with it till it works, Id say is it relly worth all that? for me no, i just bought laser printers for each computer, now i cant afford ink, HA HA HA HA. but its so hard, and once u get it something will go wrong, like right now i have 3 PC's but only on can print to the other one, so not worth the trouble.
MARKOS KRUGER
2006-08-15 00:30:07 UTC
dsl sucks