Question:
Not sure what to do after Associates Degree in computer networking?
Larelle
2014-04-25 09:31:00 UTC
I've been severely depressed lately because I went to a private college to get a degree in computer networking a.a.s at first I was proud because I was working my butt off to get a degree in something, my mom actually thought that I wouldn't go to College after Highschool. The only work experience I have is during the summer of highschool i had an internship working at my towns city hall where I was working in the management services helping the it's and the HR manager of the building as a paid intern . I'm going to graduate soon (actually get the diploma) in May but I started applying to jobs where I applied maybe 2-3 days ago with no call backs or emails. I'm graduating with a gpa in the upper threes and I would go back to college and try to work while going it to gain some experience but the private college i went to has me oweing in the 17 thousands. My mom does nursing and she works her butt off, she wants to do security also while doing nursing and my Dad gets money but its from being disabled. They definitely don't mind me living them and I told my mom about me applying for jobs and shes telling me it takes time. My aunt graduated sanford brown and shes working in a doctors office. I'm actually going to start applying at stores soon preferably best buy because I would like to work for geek squad since it involves the it field. I've been in depressed mode for the last week after I graduated waiting to go back for my diploma and im wondering was this degree worth it?
Three answers:
187
2014-04-25 10:59:26 UTC
a lot to read so excuse me for not reading your entire rant.

A degree is highly valuable and opens more doors than a basic certification.

Most, if not all IT Directors that I work with have all made the same statement: "Anyone can pick up a book and read it for a month to pass a test" - which gives little credit to certifications.

Having a degree that is complimented with certifications is the ideal way to go.

CompTia are "technician" certifications.< Great for entry level >

Cisco, Juniper, Microsoft are all considered "Professional" certifications.

I graduated with a degree in Computer Networking Systems. Shortly after I added Net+ then Sec+

and finally my CCNA R&S

This helped me evolve from Helpdesk into a professional role as a Network Administrator.

Keep in mind most certifications will be valid for only three years. This is a blessing because it will weed out the "wanna be" techs with people who actually know the material.

I personally wouldn't work at a Best Buy. Helpdesk gets you more involved with all aspects of IT - Servers, Routing, Switching and client machines just to name the basics.
denz1234567
2014-04-25 10:08:58 UTC
A diploma or degree goes hand in hand with vendor certifications.

I have almost completed my networking HND.

After this there's a few routes available:

Network hardware (Cisco, Juniper, HP)

Ethical hacking (linux)

Desktop support/server administration (Microsoft, linux)

My aim is to get CCNP Switch & at least CCNA VoIP.

That would be a good start.

There's always additional CompTIA certifications you can go for like A+ and Network+, but they expire after 3 years.
2014-04-25 09:47:13 UTC
Get a redhat certification which will give you better job oppertunities in the field of networking.

linux is growing day by day

hope this helps