Question:
can you recommend a great wireless router?
2009-11-26 03:02:00 UTC
I want to buy my parents a new wireless router for Christmas since theirs is crap.... I don't know anything about them, and price is unimportant - I just want to get them a router that will work well( high speed and will not drop the signal) thanks a bunch
Six answers:
2009-11-26 03:12:40 UTC
If price does not matter go for the best.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

If you won the lottery and had all the $ in the world "this is the wifi router you would buy"

top of the top! I used to have one. I had 0 problems.. 0 dead spots and 0 disconnects

it works perfectly

its a luxery router! I had one. Its the Mercedes of routers!
Greyolddave
2009-11-26 07:07:47 UTC
The problem with your parents network may not be the router. Perhaps they have a very slow internet connection due to the price they pay. Perhaps there are walls, floors, appliances between the router and the computer. Perhaps there is a neighbor who has his network on the same channel as theirs (change the channel).

That being said, most routers are similar. Look at the specs for the antenna if you think the problem is walls and floors since a better antenna on the router and/or the individual computers will greatly improve reception. The antennas are rated in db. 3-5 db is so so. 7 db is very good and 9 db is much better.
aks
2009-11-26 04:16:18 UTC
Well, I think my counter question to you would be - what router are you looking for? An ADSL2+ WiFi router, or Cable WiFi router or an Ethernet WiFi router?

I've been using the Linksys WRT54GC (an Ethernet WiFi router) for the last two years constantly - and I've found it working perfectly alright.
fishcarvr
2009-11-26 03:33:30 UTC
Over the past few weeks I have installed a few ASUS routers.

Personally I like the RT-N13U for its print server although it is a bit more money.

No complaints yet and the price is reasonable.
Mad Mechanic
2009-11-26 03:26:13 UTC
I have a D-Link dir-655 and i think it's one of the best out there. I've had it over a year and i have never lost a signal, and it isn't priced too bad either.
2009-11-26 04:11:15 UTC
The Linksys WRT54GS is still the best router around if you can find one.