Question:
Wireshark packet sniffer / Trying to Diagnose slow network?
?
2010-09-21 13:28:16 UTC
I downloaded Wireshark in hopes that i find maybe a bad NIC card on my network causing the slow down. We have 3 servers, about 25 client computers, 10 VoIP phones (along with other hardware) as well as a few copiers. We are currently using a T1. About 1 in five websites visited on any computer (in IE8 and Firefox) seem to time out thus constantly having to click the refresh button. Our T1 provider says we use minimal bandwidth, so that shouldn't be an issue. I didn't notice much of anything on the sniffer, but a bunch of these (see below)

200 74.865453 Cisco-Li_f5:62:3f Broadcast ARP Who has xx.xxx.xx6.49? Tell xx.xxx.xx6.52

Those IPs are our statics given by out provider. Any ideas on if I'm on the right road of tracking this problem? This seems to be the only constant thing showing up in the program.
Three answers:
nathan
2010-09-21 15:15:52 UTC
by what you are providing. It looks like you are being overwhelmed by broadcast traffic.

It's called a broadcast storm/multicast storm

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/netmgt/tncsunix/product/091500/c9bstorm.htm

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/nc2000_10c.html

To fix it. I need more details on your infrastructure that runs the network.

Do you use managed switches?

If you do, do you have span-tree protocol running? Do you have a loop?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_tree_protocol

I need more details in order to diagnosis your problem further.

But i would use those above links, and do a little searching about broadcast/multicast traffic and what kind of performance problems are caused by this.

Update...

The new updated information is pretty helpful.

Most procurve switches have support for STP (spanning-tree protocol), But you need to configure it properly (assign root bridge, etc). HP calls it RSTP (rapid STP).

this thread may help

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1221775&page=1

In order to find the switch. You can use a program called angry ip to scan your ip range

http://www.angryip.org/w/Home

What range you should use depends on what your subnet mask is.

so if you use a class C mask 255.255.255.0 (host should be x.x.x.1-x.x.x.254)

if you use a class b mask 255.255.0.0 (host should be in the range of x.x.1.0-x.x.255.255) it could be huge.

Once you figure out the IP address. You can either access them via a web-broswer or telnet. Telnet will allow more powerful access aka the command line interface (cli)

Post updates if you want to continue this.
Regina
2016-03-19 02:22:04 UTC
Not really. I do notice that CNN and FOX just keep repeating the Pastor footage. The word is 'out' - the footage has no 'News Value' anymore - additional running of the footage is just running an agenda to try to keep the 'stink' smelling. We could be running the NIXON 'Watergate' footage or any number of Bush lies - but, why? I can see by your reference to Obama as 'Muslim' that you do not let news, truth, or reason influence your views anyway, so don't worry about it. Or we could be running quotes and comments from Bob Jones, the 'Esteemed' Mr. Duke, the Buchanan's, Falwell, Trent Lott, or any of the Right Wing screechers on the radio.
2014-08-01 13:55:33 UTC

It's surely the leader program of its type

Cheers.