Question:
HELP PLEASE HELP IP ADDRESS PROBLEM CONFLICT?
Rahul K
2012-12-30 04:54:44 UTC
hey guys, so yesterday i was on skype and this person who i was on skype to tracked down my IP address, and done everything to get personal information, I did not know how to prevent this so i shut off my wifi over night, wifi was activated this morning and i turned on my computer, my laptop [sony vaio windows 7] read that there is an IP conflict, how can i get the person who hacked on my IP off it!? 10 POINTS and can you give me an easy answer don't really understand all the technical stuff! Thank You
Three answers:
2012-12-30 06:56:06 UTC
Hi, I doubt he could get your IP off of skype, and even if he did, there is not much he can do with your IP. Plus you are behind a router, so you don't have much to worry about. Plus, unless you have a static IP, you probably already got a brand new IP, just by turning your Wifi off, and then back on again.

Just install some antivirus software, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Microsoft Security Essentials is free, and very good.

Make sure your Wifi has proper security. You should set it to use WPA2 Encryption if available, and choose a complex password.

If you have done all of these steps, you should be good to go. If you are feeling paranoid, change the password of your WiFi, and run a virus scan.

About the IP conflict: make sure your DHCP server is turned on in your router (it should be on by default) Make sure the IP of your laptop is set to automatic (again it should be automatic by default) Also make sure that all of the other devices accessing your WiFi, or network, are all set to automatic, or if using staic IP, choose some IP that none of the other devices are using. If you need any more info, just write me.
187
2012-12-30 14:25:58 UTC
Simplify the process....

Log in to your router and update the DHCP Pool

You can control the Pool to only allow your MAC address that IP (ex 192.168.2.1)

Its called a reservation

Secondly while you're logged in to your router you can see the machine names of people connected to your router. Remove them!!

dns flush wont help

thats a waste of time
Yard Dog
2012-12-30 13:11:48 UTC