Question:
Internet Ping Issues?
Justin
2012-04-09 23:06:25 UTC
Hi guys,

So I have been having internet fluctuating issues of late, and this is becoming a serious problem, especially as a gamer.

Issue: At random points in time, I will see my ping shoot up (I usually use Teamspeak 3 to monitor my ping) to unbelievable amounts that makes gaming unbearable. I run usually at 54-53ms +- 0.8-4.0. At some random points in time, my ping will spike up to 100's and a 50 flex and then peak at a 400 and 300 flex. This will occur for a time between 5 minutes to 30 minutes. It happens around 4 or 5 times per day, and I happen to be on a lot.

Here is my current specs:
net: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1885423991.png

PC:

System

Manufacturer Gateway
Model DX4320
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 6
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1035T Processor

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 1379 GB
Disk partition (C:) 668 GB Free (1379 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Media drive (J:) CD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5750
Total available graphics memory 4083 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3059 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.710.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
Gaming Graphics 4083 MB Total available graphics memory

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Adapter 802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN Adapter
Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Router: WNDR3700 Netgear http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+N600+Wireless-N+Dual+Band+Router+with+4-port+Gigabit+Switch+and+USB+Port/9331403.p?id=1218089527534&skuId=9331403&st=Netgear%20wndr3700&cp=1&lp=1
Modem: Motorola Docsis 3.0 SURFboard http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola+-+SURFboard+DOCSIS+3.0+High-Speed+Cable+Modem/2836657.p?id=1218357903729&skuId=2836657&st=modem&cp=1&lp=1

I am running off a wireless connection from across the house.
Devices: my PC, Sony Vaio Laptop, 6 year old PC (Hardlined), Xbox360 (Hardlined), iTouch, DroidX, and a Toshiba Laptop. Normally only my PC is connected, with the 6 year old PC and the Xbox360 connected at random times. No heavy internet usage from that PC besides the occasional porn streaming (gotta love roomates) and xbox360 only does netflix.

I run 2 registry cleaners (CCleaner and RegCleanPro), and keep my drivers updated to a normal basis. I clear my cookies on a constant basis.

Solutions Approached:
1. Called out Comcast, got them to adjust a double flow internet booster that was power cycling my modem.
2. Updated Router firmware to latest version.
3. Virus scanned PC using AVG
4. Preformed 30/30/30 restart onto the Router to restore it to factory settings, which actually fixed an old xbox360 issue in which it hogged our bandwith to the point if anyone tried to access the net when Live/Netflix was running the net crashed.

If you guys need any more information let me know, I think this is a PC error rather then a ISP error, since comcast has helped me a bunch and fixed a majority of their issues. I did a quick internet crash logger, this only documents my crashes, not my spikes though. They are usually much more frequent.

3:00 am - 4/6/2012 crash, went to sleep
12:15 pm - 4/6/2012 crash, went to class
3:56 pm - 4/6/2012 crash, went to shower
12:00 am - 4/7/2012 crash, went to reset
Reset Modem at 12:01 am 4/7/2012, turned everything off
Net access back up at 12:06 am 4/7/2012, did not fix issue.
12:08 am -4/7/2012 internet crashed, went to sleep.
Four answers:
Brett
2012-04-09 23:24:16 UTC
Either your anti-virus is compromising your computer speed and efficiency of your NIC, or the problem is due to someone on your network downloading/streaming/uploading stuff. Since it happens at random and for various lengths of time, I am inclined to bet that it is someone else on your network hogging your bandwidth.

If all other devices are off, then I would disable or uninstall any anti-virus you have. Do any other devices on your network have the same problem?
?
2016-10-04 09:14:42 UTC
It relies upon what the guy on the computing gadget is doing, or in spite of if that's contaminated with something. in the event that they are observing movies or doing information superhighway report sharing, that ought to actual lavatory your connection, based upon the cost of your information superhighway plan. Ping is in many circumstances no longer severe precedence, considering's basically for finding out. If the two your acquire or upload gets choked, which could choke all internet site visitors by using fact packets ought to attend in line at the back of different packets.
Justin
2012-04-10 00:02:46 UTC
What do you think might be the thing that is hogging the bandwith? Right now I am spiking and I am uploading nothing, downloading nothing and only connected to aion which normally does nothing. I have checked all the other devices in the house and they are all offline, this is the only device connected to the network.
2014-07-28 09:18:01 UTC
Hey,

Cleaning the register is a good way of improving the performances of your pc and eliminate malwares and trojans. A program I trust is CCleaner http://j.mp/UrADZ5

It's surely the leader program of its type

Bye Bye