Question:
Factory Defaults - Cisco 2620?
eljefe98
2007-09-05 17:38:11 UTC
I have a Cisco 2620 Router that I would like to reset to factory specs. I would also like to run a diagnostics on it to verify that it's in good working condition. I picked several of these up in a company closing and want to sell them on ebay.

If I need software, please include links to it if possible. (including firmware/software updates)

If I need special cables - please specify that.

If you know routers, think of the things you'd want to know if you were buying a used one. Help me answer those questions.

Thanks!!
Seven answers:
Charles
2007-09-05 17:55:38 UTC
Step-by-Step Procedure

Follow these steps in order to recover your password:

Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console port of the router.

If you can access the router, type show version at the prompt, and record the configuration register setting. See Example of Password Recovery Procedure in order to view the output of a show version command

Note: The configuration register is usually set to 0x2102 or 0x102. If you can no longer access the router (because of a lost login or TACACS password), you can safely assume that your configuration register is set to 0x2102.

Press Break on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of power up in order to put the router into ROMMON.

Type confreg 0x2142 at the rommon 1> prompt in order to boot from Flash.

This step bypasses the startup configuration where the passwords are stored.

Type reset at the rommon 2> prompt.

The router reboots, but ignores the saved configuration.

Type no after each setup question, or press Ctrl-C in order to skip the initial setup procedure.

Type enable at the Router> prompt.

You are in enable mode and should see the Router# prompt
2007-09-06 12:05:03 UTC
I am not sure if you need password recovery or not, but it looks like this is well covered. If your plan is to straight resell these at auction, then I would look at the following:

Go onto the router (pw recover if need be) and type "write erase" enter that command, and then "reload" the router - when it comes up it should be at "factory default" as far as configuration goes.

Once it is back up, you need to go onto the router console and do a "show version" and record the RAM/Flash, this will be critical information to anyone buying it. There will be some lines similar, but not exactly, like this:

cisco AS2511-RJ (68030) processor (revision K) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory. (16M RAM)

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY) (8M FLASH)

I added the RAM/FLASH numbers in paranthesis.

Next, like the other user mentioned, you either need to include a console cable (rolled Ethernet by the way - may or may not be blue depending on when they bought the 2600) or state that there is no Console cable. Depending who is buying it, they may have no need of one (I have about a thousand hanging around for example). You should also mention whether or not rack mounting brackets are included or not - these can be expensive to buy from Cisco, so you need to let someone know upfront what they are getting.

As to software, you can find that out from the "show version" output as well, near the top:

Version 11.2(23)P

If it is a cryptographic image (there will be a huge disclaimer in the output if this is the case) then you may have legal ramifications as far as where is exports to. I would not change the software, it is not free.

A caveat to all of this is you may want to check on CCO that the equipment is not "black listed" somehow, if it is then the buyer may NEVER be able to register it or get support for it.
Ti_Cool_Tech
2007-09-05 19:04:34 UTC
cisco.com is what you want.... You need to register the routers at cisco and create and ID. Then you can download the latest IOS for them....

The dude about was on the right track to get into the boxes...

You will need a console cable which should be with the routers.... It's a blue cable and it has a rj45 jack and the other is a serial end... Connect it up the router, From that you can configure the routers to what you want...

Use the program hyper terminal to emulate the console on a windows machine.... Start, programs, accessories, communications, hyper terminal....

You can accept the defaults except for the link speed.... Set that to 9600.

When the router boots, keep hitting Ctrl+ f12 to get to rommon mode.... Then change the pointer to the the 0x specified by the other guy above.. be sure that it is correct otherwise it will screw the router..... Find the correct pointer at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml#routers

follow the procedures....

Then when your done boot the router and enter this

enable (your new pass)

Prompt is now #

type in

write er <- erase all information and resets defaults

reload <- manually reboots the router....

Then you can start programming it to what you want....
?
2016-12-31 10:35:41 UTC
Cisco 2620xm
jeni
2016-05-17 20:21:10 UTC
Robert is right there is button where a pen is used to press the button down for 3-5 second. Then you must unplug and replug the router. It will go to the default settings. Put in the installation CD and follow the instructions. If your advance type 192.186.1.1 leave the first box blank then type: admin Note: just unplugging the router will not work. The button must be pressed.
hanrahan
2016-11-01 10:09:01 UTC
Cisco 2620
Pyria
2007-09-05 17:45:22 UTC
http://www.cxtec.com/products/item_detail.php?mfg_id=184&manufacturer_part=CISCO2621

CISCO 2621 2 PORT 10/100 ROUTER WITH 2 WIC SLOTS