Question:
I have a problem with a netgear router?
Mccando K
2009-03-22 20:36:06 UTC
I'm having a problem with my Netgear router
When I hook everything up CORRECTLY I don't get internet
When I go onto the the netgear page it says it can't find an internet connection, but when I go onto my labtop to search for the router connection it's there but it says local only and I still don't get internet

The main problem is that I don't get internet on my computer
Or on my labtop
Five answers:
tbshmkr
2009-03-22 21:26:41 UTC
Connect Modem [wired] to Router [wireless] to PCs.

=

Set router POWER OFF.

-

Reset modem: With a straightened paperclip, press RESET button momentarily.

-

Wait 60 secs.

-

Set router POWER ON.

-

Reset router: With a straightened paperclip, press RESET button momentarily.

-

Wait 60 secs.

--

PC Command Line:

-

Click [Start] - Click [Run...] - enter: cmd, Click [OK]

-

At the prompt (c:\.....>) enter: ipconfig /release, press [ENTER]

-

At the prompt (c:\.....>) enter: ipconfig /renew, press [ENTER]

-

TEST: Open Web Browser: Connect to Internet.

--

If SUCCESS: Repeat Steps after PC Command Line on other PCs.

-

If NO SUCCESS:

-

At the prompt (c:\.....>) enter: ipconfig /all, press [ENTER]

-

Ensure DHCP Enabled == YES

-

If IP Address == 0.0.0.0 OR 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255, connect Modem [wired] to Router [wired] to PCs and perform ALL steps again.

-
2017-01-17 12:28:07 UTC
What you could attempt is that this :// one million ) on account which you switched ISP's your router won't come across the hot settings it may, yet extra often than not probable won't. The router desires assistance like DNS servers, IP handle and such.. do this. Reset that router and set it lower back up. this way you do away with each and all the previous settings. this suggests that as quickly as you create that new prompt community, its going to get each and every thing it desires from that new modem. 2) in case your uncertain a thank you to set the netgear lower back up, an straight forward potential biking of the Modem and the router could restoration the challenge. This non everlasting clears the DHCP and server settings. potential it lower back on and notice what takes place. be particular the potential cycle lasts approximately 5 minutes. 3) examine the IP handle on the router. If its a 169**** handle. because of the fact of this the router is calling for an IP from the modem. rather its a self assigned IP handle that merely skill that the modem and the router at the instant are not chatting with one yet another. 4 ) try the modem with an instantaneous connection on your computing gadget, this merely verifies that its working. If not, call your ISP or the computing gadget manufacture. 5) If the router is getting a 192.168 handle this is called a private IP. this suggests that the modem that your ISP gave your is actual a router besides, you won't be in a position to have 2 routers linked to a minimum of one yet another. Your going to could desire to a) call your ISP and function them tutor you straight forward straight forward techniques to tutor of the router fringe of that modem, or b) positioned your netgear into bridge mode so it may share a public IP on your computers. attempt that. optimistically it works out!
Thespian Joe
2009-03-22 20:52:02 UTC
The "local only" means that the laptop can get to the local network, but not out to the Internet.

I'm not completely familiar w/ Netgear, but there's likely some sort of "Status" page, which indicates whether you've received an IP address via DHCP from your provider. You may want to try disconnecting/reconnecting your Cable/DSL modem, and after a minute, try to re-obtain an IP address on your Netgear router using DHCP renew functionality.

BTW, your Netgear router is likely also a DHCP _server_, which means that it will provide an IP address to laptops that connect to the local network (i.e. laptops that are plugged into it, or into a hub/switch connected to it). Don't get this server functionality confused with the "client" DHCP functionality of the Netgear router. (i.e. The Netgear router will try to obtain its own Internet IP address (not a 192.168.x.x address) from the upstream DHCP server of your service provider (RoadRunner, etc).
dbsantos77
2009-03-22 21:02:27 UTC
Check to see if you needed to enter a Key or password in the router config, if that doesn't work re-start everything including the router.
platinum
2013-10-07 05:32:35 UTC
Changing "RIP Version" to "RIP_2B" and sett "RIP Direction" to "Both".

Simple!