Question:
Why can't I connect to Xbox Live? I have a switch and a modem...?
Nick
2008-12-25 20:32:53 UTC
Okay, I really need answers so I'll describe every single thing I have tried and what is happening.

First of all, I have a Broadband connection with 2 computers, one RCA modem, and one Linksys switch.

The modem is plugged into the wall (phone jack), the switch, one of the computers, and a cable running through the house.

The switch is plugged into the modem, both computers, and the wall.

Okay, here are the billions of ways I have tried to get this to work:

1. A "direct connection"
a. Plug Ethernet cable into Xbox.
b. Plug other end into modem, replacing the wire running to a computer.
c. Go to dashboard, join xbox live.
d. It says connection failed.
e. I hit "test connection".
f. It scans it and tells me the IP address failed.

PS: I have a gold membership for xbox live.
PSS: I have tried turning everything off (the modem and xbox and switch) before doing it, still doesn't work.
PSSS: The DHCP is enabled, I checked.

Okay the second way I've tried:

2. Switch connection.
a. Connect one end of cable to xbox, other to one of the 3 unused ports on the back of the switch.
b. "Join Xbox Live"
c. SAME THING HAPPENS!

PS: Sometimes an extra set of lights goes on in the front when I plug the cable into the back.
PSS: I've tried this same thing only using the other 2 empty ports, and I've also tried replacing all the existing cables with the Ethernet.
NONE OF IT WORKS!

Someone PLEASE help. What could be wrong? Do I need a router? (please answer no to that one) Am I doing something wrong? I'm confused and frustrated.
Four answers:
Taba
2008-12-25 20:47:16 UTC
You cant use a switch to share a internet connection. You need a router.
tbshmkr
2008-12-25 22:52:30 UTC
Details Please.

Linksys Switch Model No.

RCA modem Model No.

=======

HUH?????? The wall????

"The switch is plugged into the modem, both computers, and the wall."

=======

Has the XBox ever connected to XBox Live?

--------------------------

Try this: Telephone wall plug >> Modem >> Switch >> 2 PCs

-----

Basic Connectivity. NO Security.

Set switch OFF.

Reset modem: Press & hold RESET button 10-20 secs.

Wait 60 secs.

Set switch ON.

Reset switch: Press & hold RESET button 10-20 secs.

Wait 60 sec.

PC:

Click [Start] - [Run...] - type: cmd, press [ENTER]

At the prompt (c:\.....>) type: ipconfig /release, press [ENTER]

At the prompt (c:\.....>) type: ipconfig /renew, press [ENTER]

Connect to INTERNET.

IF SUCCESS, repeat steps after PC for the other computer.

IF NO SUCCESS with BOTH computers, get a router.

IF SUCCESS with BOTH computers: Connect XBox to switch and attempt connecting to XBox Live.

IF NO SUCCESS: do a HARD RESET of the XBox.

Setup XBox and attempt connecting to XBox Live.

IF NO SUCCESS with XBox, get a router.

ROUTER Suggestion: Linksys WRT150N
?
2016-10-18 14:17:09 UTC
ok pay attention intently. Take your 360 and place it the place you desire it. positioned a cable in a router and interior the 360. Then take the plug out given which you already know it suits and get a hammer. Take the hammer and weigh down your 360. next flow to Gamestop and purchase a PS3 given which you experience stupid you purchased a device that dies out in a 300 and sixty 5 days.
2008-12-27 05:16:53 UTC
nick, we already went over this. You are going to get a router by monday, so on monday you can go on.