Question:
using two ip in the same feed?
Thanh T
2008-03-10 05:35:34 UTC
I have highspeed cable. My isp said that i can have 2 ips.How i connect and config to make ii work? I have linksys switch and SMC wireless router. Thanks for your help.
Four answers:
2008-03-10 05:49:55 UTC
You really only need one IP address. Set that address up in your router, then feed the switch from the router. You can then plug as many connections in to your switch as it was designed to use.

As far as your ISP, they will only see the ip address of your router.

-tcw
2008-03-10 16:53:49 UTC
You connect a NON-routing (no DHCP) modem to the cable. You connect the switch to the modem. You connect the router to one port of the switch, set to one of the IP addresses. You connect something else (another router, a computer, etc.) to another port on the switch and set it to use the other IP address.

Why you want this setup, or what you gain from it, is a different matter.
Dennis R
2008-03-10 12:42:07 UTC
Your router will issue separate IP addresses to each computer attached to it. Your ISP will issue 1 IP address for the modem. Since the router handles everything attached to it, each can communicate concurrently and independent of each other.

You can probably visit the SMC webpage for more info on home networking.

Good luck!
2008-03-10 12:40:57 UTC
You still only have the same bandwidth as for 1 IP. The only reason for paying extra for fixed addresses is to run your own server. 2 addresses are only useful if you have 2 servers. Youstill only have one connection to the internet.