Question:
I lose internet connection when I connect modem to router, works fine when directly connected to computer?
Irene
2014-06-23 21:02:09 UTC
I always lose connection when I connect my modem to my router. It (often) works fine when I use a cable and connect it to my computer. When it doesn't work if I connect it directly, I go and use mac's network troubleshooting to fix it and reattach it to the router (but this also does not work all the time). This works for a few hours then I lose it again.

I bought a new router thinking that the problem is with the router but I still had the same problems with the new one.

Help! :(

P.S. I cannot handle complicated terms. I'm basically a grandma trying to use a computer.
Three answers:
tumbleweed_biff
2014-06-24 00:06:04 UTC
Starting with some basics:

YOU DO NOT NEED A WIRELESS MODEM. The person saying that doesn't know what they are talking about and you would end up with a bunch of hardware you didn't need.

Your modem provides a connection to the internet. You can connect your PC directly to the modem but that is a bad idea. You should always have a router in place for security purposes. So you should have: Modem -> Router -> Computer(s) The router may or may not offer wireless /WiFi, but don't worry about that unless you really need it. You are far better off dealing with a standard Ethernet connection.

There are specifics to setting up a modem -> router -> computer connection which vary with the type of service and the way your service provider works. Your ISP should be able to walk you through a) connecting your modem and b) configuring your router to connect to the modem.

In general, if you have cable modem service you can usually connect your router to the modem and then connect a computer to the router by Ethernet and go through the router's first time setup to enable things like WiFi, etc. Because of the way DSL works it can be a little more complicated but still easily achievable. In either the case your ISP's support will be the best source of interactive assistance to get you up and running.
?
2014-06-24 01:14:26 UTC
tumbleweed is correct, talk to your ISP.

Your modem could be setup with specific IP settings (ie static IP). Though your ISP is not directly responsible for a router you buy, 99% of them have a vested interest in making sure you are able to establish a basic home network to use their service.

If you insist, I suggest setting up your wireless router like such:

First, power on the router and then hit the tiny reset button, usually located on the bottom or back of the router. This will wipe any previous settings in the router so we can start with a blank slate. Let the router do the reset, it will take a minute or two to go through the internal tests.

Next, connect the wireless router to the modem using a ethernet cable (cat5e or cat6 type). There is most likely only one ethernet port on the modem, if not, put your cable in port 1.

On the router connect the cable to the port labled internet or uplink. If there is no such port, connect the cable to port 1.

Connect a computer to the router either by preferably connecting it to the ethernet port, or alternatively (unprefered) by connecting to it wirelessly. It will have a generic model ID as the network name.

Open a command prompt by searching for cmd.exe. Once inside the command prompt type "ipconfig /all"

Under either ethernet or wireless you will see the ip settings. Note the Gateway address (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)

Open up a browser window and put the gateway ip address in (no www. before it) It should open up the router interface.

Now enter the default login details (if you don't have them written down on the router or manuals, just google it online).

Once you are into the router, look for a screen with IP settings. You will have to choose between static and dynamic IP addressing (DHCP). Most of the time it will be DHCP, if not, your ISP will have to provide those details. Select DHCP. It may have the plain language "obtain IP address automatically" or something to that effect.

You will then have to configure the network. You are going to want your router to do everything automatically (DHCP). Apply these settings. The router may restart, in which case reconnect the same way.

Then you will need to go to your wireless settings. You should have the option to name your wifi network (also called SSID). As well there may be channel and frequency options, leave them all default. There may be an option to set the network type (b, g, n). If most of your devices are newer (last 7 or 8 years, select n, otherwise select g, b is for seriously old devices)

Next you need to configure the security settings for the wifi network. Select a security protocol (WPA2 Personal) put in a 8 character password, write this down. Save or apply the settings. If you had connected with wifi, you will lose connection to the router for 2 or 3 minutes. When you reconnect you will need to put in the new wifi password.

Finally you will need to reset the router admin password. Connect again to the router, router or admin password will be under an management, security or administration tab. Set a good password (not the same as your wifi password) write this down, with a username if applicable.

Finally put a strip of tape on the bottom of your router. write down the wifi network password, and the router admin password. Trust me on this. Anyone that can get to your router has control ove the network anyway, and it saves hassle if you forget.
2014-06-23 22:02:04 UTC
You need wireless modem for your computer which will be connect through wifi and use a wire as a connecter between modem and router then you can find connection.