Question:
2620xm Cisco Boot loop?
futureburn
2010-12-18 16:34:33 UTC
Hello when I bootup my 2620xm I see this error over and over. I cannot put any commands in.

*Mar 1 00:26:46.963: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/help.cfg) failed %Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/help-confg (Timed out)

It does this forever... it never stops. Over and over again in my console.

Does my system have a bad IOS or bad ram?

Thanks
Five answers:
Quadratic
2010-12-20 15:46:34 UTC
The above answers assume that you can enter those commands. :)

First, get that router into rommon mode by hitting the "Break" key when it reboots (you'll need to console in). Then, enter "confreg 0x2102", followed by the "reset" command. This is just to make sure that it's failing over to TFTP and not just set to go there by the config register.

If it still happens, go back into rommon mode, change that command to "0x2142" for now (change back to 0x2102 when you're done, since otherwise it'll always bypass the config file), and get ready to load a new IOS image. It's possible that flash memory is bad, but I'd start by putting a new IOS on there. The following should help to walk you through that process: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a0080094a0b.shtml

If you put a new IOS on there and still get that error, I'd be leaning towards bad flash memory as a cause.
?
2010-12-18 16:49:23 UTC
I'm new to Cisco tech, but my guess that since the IOS boots from flash memory (RAM) your errors seem to indicate that it can't boot off of RAM so it's searching the tftp server for a minimal version to boot from. The parsing means that there is a syntax error.

Let me rephrase that. When the IOS can't boot from RAM, it looks for a copy from tftp server. If that doesn't work, as your errors are indicating, there should be a minimal version of the IOS on ROM.
DrZoo
2010-12-18 16:50:50 UTC
To stop the switch from attempting to download the configuration file from the TFTP server (and to stop the error message), issue the no service config command in global configuration mode.
2017-01-18 11:14:02 UTC
i visit could ask my spouse what Cisco is. or did you advise Crisco? using fact Crisco brings decrease back some techniques. i do no longer think of i'm at liberty to debate them nonetheless. additionally what the hell is that component on your avatar? I basically clicked RebaGG's link and splendor whether I could verify the residing house for Cisco. this could be what's incorrect with my spouse. heavily. I nonetheless have not found out "O'Gasmic Ninja" ought to it is a psychotic episode?
Seti I
2010-12-18 16:49:45 UTC
Reinstall the IOS.