Question:
I have a wireless router for my internet, but my laptop is asking for a network key??
2008-04-15 11:59:18 UTC
I have no idea what this is? i set up a password etc with my comp (the one i am using now) and i can see what i want to connect to in the list on my laptop but it asks for a network key when i try to connect?? Please help.
Fourteen answers:
William 'D-Fens' Foster
2008-04-15 12:02:48 UTC
Whoever set up the router created a network key. You need to get that and that's what you need to put in your laptop.

You can get it by logging in to your router and looking under Security.
2008-04-15 12:05:23 UTC
A network key (WEP is the technical word) is a password you need to connect to your internet connection. If you have another computer and the internet works there, look at that network key and type it into the field on the laptop. If that doesn't work, make sure that you're using your signal, not somebody else's. Another problem could be if your other computer is wired in to the internet, it won't need a password. Since laptops are wireless, now you do need the password. If you don't know your password, contact your service provider.
2008-04-15 12:05:12 UTC
Sounds like your Wireless LAN (WLAN) network uses encryption.

You either have WEP or WPA encryption, connect to your router using another computer on the network (or ask whoever set it up) and see what the wireless network key is set to in the router graphical user interface, which you should be able to access using another computer on the network.

Once you know the WEP or WPA encryption key, enter it into your laptop to connect. It would help if you told us what make and model of router you were using so I could provide more specific information.
molebee
2008-04-15 12:02:54 UTC
The network key is basically a password that was created to protect other people from getting onto your wireless network. Ask whoever set up your wireless router for the network key. If you can't figure it out contact the wireless router's manufacture to see how you can reset it.
rasberry003
2008-04-15 12:07:01 UTC
From any computer that works open a command prompt window and type ipconfig /all and write down the default gateway address. Open up your browser and enter the ip address that you wrote down in the address bar. Enter the userid and password for your router and you should get the first screen for your router. look around for wireless setup, wireless security, wireless encryption or similar. When you find the right screen, you should be able to find the wep or wpa key code originally entered.
2008-04-15 12:03:05 UTC
you have a secured network set up. what you need to do is contact the manufacturer of the router. if you got the router with your service provider then call them and ask for your wep key or encryption key. a lot of the times it will be your 10 digit phone number or the mac id found on the bottom of the modem. good luck i hope this helps.
bambamitsdead
2008-04-15 12:03:21 UTC
You set the network key on your wifi router... now you need to set the same key on your PC.

If you don't know the router wifi key you'll need to log on (over wire) to your router and find it.

If you didn't change the wifi key on your router it may still be the same as the one printed ona label on the outside of the router (if your router has a label with that information on... some do, some don't).
mrkleen340
2008-04-15 12:03:03 UTC
you are attemping to connect to a secure network which requires a password (diffrent then you computer's log in). Make sure you are trying to get on the right network, or if you can't remember the key... you can reset the router
cajunspike1959
2008-04-15 12:04:13 UTC
You must connect to the router configuration screen using your desktop computer. Often its a website address you type in. for a linksys router, the address is http://192.168.1.1.

You'll need to find your address.

Once in there, need to find wireless security section.

I'm willing to bet your router has WEP type security turned on. In the router wireless security section, there will be a long string of letters and numbers..thats the key you need. type into laptop when it asks..should get in just fine.
piysta
2008-04-15 12:24:09 UTC
If you set up a home network off your computer then check that, if not check 192.168.1.1 and check if there is a key set to your router. If not, check the bottom of your router, there will be a key on the bottom of it most likley.
Terence L
2008-04-15 12:03:18 UTC
You probably have some sort of WEP enabled security. You need to enter in your WEP key t access your wireless network. If you have a linksys, you can access that by going to 192.168.1.1 and checking out your WEP.
2008-04-15 12:03:06 UTC
It is probably a secured network either WPA-PSK, WPA, or WEP. If you really need to get on I would recommend you find out the password or get a password cracker such as Airsnort.
2016-04-09 04:17:42 UTC
If you have to use WEP then the new 10 figure alpha numeric is correct. For preference choose WPA (wifi protected access) - its more secure
*Jedi*
2008-04-15 12:02:41 UTC
Yes, look at your router, there should be a number labels as "SSID" or "Netwrok KEy" use that.....