Question:
I would like wireless internet at my apartment. What is the best way to do that? What do I need to buy?
Sicily's Tony
2009-10-27 00:04:57 UTC
A wireless router or a wireless modem.. I don't know much about networks or wireless internet set up.. :(
Four answers:
AKFLA
2009-10-27 00:20:05 UTC
a router is one type of firewall and you can have more than one computer to have internet ,a modem hooks you up to the internet,the cable company will hook a modem for you when you get internet access through them.modem=internet. router=more than one/ protection for your computer
gloria
2009-10-27 00:35:08 UTC
You need 1) wireless network adapter for your computer if it isn't built in already. 2) You need a wireless router or wireless access point, or wireless bridge, or a wireless gaming adapter, the last three being the same thing sold with different names. 3) you need internet access from DSL,or cable company, Fiber from Verizon or ATT, or from a wireless cell phone company like Sprint. 4) you need to configure security and encryption on the router and network card to add some level or privacy and security. Step for is the only hard part.

To setup use the cables that look like bid telephone connectors. Plug the cable to the Wireless Router or Bridge's where it says WAN into whatever your internet access is where it be DSL modem, or Cable modem. The next part to really do right you need to physically plug the computer into the other port on the router named LAN. use the software that came with the router to change the default password and add encryption keys. Then you need to configure the computers network card to use the same encryption under the properties of the network card or using the software that it came with.
Shravan
2009-10-27 00:27:34 UTC
your best bet is to but a wirless router if u have an existing modem or a wirless router/modem if u dont

there are a few types

802.11b or a or g or n or n+

g should work for ur needs

and u should get the right one dsl or cable

and u should get one with a firewall

btw a router just routes packets
Tilla
2009-10-27 00:14:54 UTC
Call a wireless internet provider like AT&T or Comcast. They can come to your house to help you set up your wireless service. They can also explain how to get you started and what you'll need.