Question:
"Linksys" still shows up in wireless list after name change ?
chrgr
2009-02-02 08:18:42 UTC
I set up my router, changed the name and put a security password to restrict access.
I can still see linksys on my computer, and I am sure it is mine. I tried disconnecting my router - and linksys network disappears too.

I've been using the router for more than a year, but last night my gf unplugged it and left it that way overnight, and this morning "linksys" appeared and I had to set up everything all over again.
Four answers:
C-Man
2009-02-02 08:26:16 UTC
Sounds like someone pressed the reset button (usually it takes a pen or paper clip to access this), which would cause it to revert to factory defaults, losing any changes you made.

Sometimes after changing the network ID and saving changes, you need to power cycle the router for the name change to be reflected.
Marvin
2009-02-02 08:24:45 UTC
The settings should be saved in NVR (non-volatile RAM) where they will persist even if the router is switched off.

Suggest you create a backup of the settings.

On my linksys router this is done in Administration > Config Management. There is a backup and a restore button and it will export/import settings to/from a binary file saved on your PC.

That way - if there is a problem with you NVR not saving correctly - you can just import the config file from a folder on your PC and it will instantly be set-up again.
happy2bwalking
2009-02-02 08:29:51 UTC
If you are using a Linksys it will continue to show up. What it should have under it/beside it is that it is password protected. therefore no one can get on your site without the pass word. or it may be possible someone else in your area also has one.

You could also contact Linksys by phone/email to see that you have done it correctly.
2009-02-02 08:24:28 UTC
This is a bug with Linksys boxes, if a power outage or reboot is done, the settings on the older Linksys boxes all get reset.