Question:
Can't remember the password to my cisco router, help?

2013-09-20 15:34:56 UTC
So I had a minecraft server back in 2012 and opened some router ports in order to the server work properly, and I used the default username and password (which were blank by default) on my cisco router, I haven't touched my router's admin panel for a year and now that i'm trying to log in, the default username & password doesn't work! I don't remember changing the password, has someone managed to hack into my router or am I just paranoid?

I use WPA2 and have a password on my WiFi (which is not something as common as 1234) , please help
Four answers:
2013-09-20 15:53:04 UTC
You are likely paranoid, Good wireless security such as WPA or WPA2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security with complex passwords is very difficult to hack. https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.

That being said,

Download the router manual if you don't have one. You'll have to do a Internet search for your specific model and include the terms "manual" or "setup" in your search. Here is the Cisco/LinkSys support site: http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support

Many newer Linksys/Cisco routers can use Cisco Connect wizard to set up. http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/valet/CCSV

Connect a PC or laptop via Ethernet to one of the router's LAN ports and follow the instructions in the manual to set it up. It is not a good idea to use a wireless device to configure the router.

Passwords in the router user manual or printed on the back or underside of wireless routers are the factory defaults. For security these passwords are changed (or should have been changed) when the router is first configured.

Remember that passwords are case sensitive, It is a good idea to use a reasonably long complex password with upper and lower case characters, numbers and symbols.

If you don't know the administrative login password, you'll have to reset the router to factory default state. The reset button is usually behind a small hole on the back of the router. To reset the router, use a toothpick or similar object to depress the button for several seconds while the router is powered up. If the router is reset to factory default, thus erasing all user modified settings then it will revert to the default passwords and settings.

After resetting the router you'll want to change the default password and reconfigure the wireless security settings.

You'll also need to restore any user modified settings, port forwarding, etc.

Good Luck...
Dina
2015-08-19 14:51:26 UTC
This Site Might Help You.

RE:

featherawr
2013-09-20 15:39:28 UTC
You can hold the reset button on the router to reset the password. Keep in mind though that this'll reset the configs too for Minecraft etc.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
2016-03-19 02:16:04 UTC
All Cisco routers have a 16-bit software register, which is written into NVRAM. By default, the configuration register is set to load the Cisco IOS from flash memory and to look for and load the startup-config file from NVRAM. By changing the configuration register, you can perform password recovery on a Cisco router. If you are locked out of a router because you forgot the password, you can change the configuration register to help you recover. Bit 6 in the configuration register is used to tell the router whether or not to use the contents of NVRAM to load a router configuration. The default configuration register value for bit 6 is 0x2102 (the 0 is bit 6), which means that bit 6 is off. With the default setting, the router will look for and load a router configuration stored in NVRAM (startup-config). To recover a password, you need to turn on bit 6, which will tell the router to ignore the NVRAM contents. The configuration register value to turn on bit 6 is 0x2142. 1. You can see the current value of the configuration register by using the show version command (sh version or show ver for short), as in the following example on the 2600A router: 2600A#show version Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-BIN-M), Version 12.2(13)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) [output cut] Configuration register is 0x2102 The last information given from this command is the value of the configuration register. In this example, the value is 0x2102, which is the default setting. 2. You can change the configuration register by using the config-register command. For example, the following commands tell the router to boot from ROM monitor mode and then to verify the current configuration register value: 2600A(config)#config-register 0x0101 2600A(config)#^z 2600A#sh ver [output cut] Configuration register is 0x2102 (will be 0x0101 at next reload) Notice that the show version command shows the current configuration register value, as well as what it will be when the router reboots. Any change to the configuration register will not take effect until the router is reloaded. & See chapter 7 of the Sybex CCNA Study Guide for a complete listing of configuration-register commands. 3. From the 2600A router, type reload at the privileged mode prompt. 2600A#reload 4. When the router is rebooting, press and hold ctrl+break on the keyboard, until it takes you into rom monitor mode. 2600A#reload System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info PC = 0xfff0a530, Vector = 0x500, SP = 0x680127b0 C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory PC = 0xfff0a530, Vector = 0x500, SP = 0x80004374 monitor: command "boot" aborted due to user interrupt rommon 1 > 5. To change the bit value on a Cisco 2600 series router, simply enter the confreg (meaning config register) command at the rommon 1> prompt: rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142 You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect. 6. At this point, reset the router. rommon 1 > reset 7. When the router reloads, say no to entering setup mode. 8. Enter privledged mode and then type copy starting-config running-config 9. Change your passwords and then save your configuration with the copy run start command 10. Change your configuration register back to 0x2102