Question:
How do you crash a server?
Shelby Morgan
2009-03-24 11:27:56 UTC
I am NOT actually asking how to crash a server.
Let me explain:
My entire school district has its own server that every computer connects to. Each school has a network drive under that domain in which people can put files, delete files, etc. Today in the drive, there was a text document threatening to "crash the server". I assume this means the person means to cause irreparable damage to the entire districts system. I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to "crash the server" and if so, what steps would the offender take, so that we might better protect ourselves should he actually be capable of what he/she threatens.
Nine answers:
2009-03-24 11:32:56 UTC
Viruses probably. But I am certain that kid has no idea what he is talking about.
Ryan
2009-03-24 13:44:40 UTC
Hello there. It is possible to crash a server but the Administrator has properly disabled the ip address and the command prompt from the users. If the command prompt has not been disabled/blocked then he is a lousy Admin who deserves to be hacked. The command prompt is a system program that has many features to change system settings and if you are connected to a network, you can become an Admin or even lock the the real Admin out from the network. However the chances of you getting really far to even hacking the server is really slim as the Admin and the rest of the people who do the IT work are always watching what you do so you cant do or get away with anything. They can remote control your computer to suspend your account to completely disabling your account. The Admin is there to make sure the network and the server is safe and that the users are using it properly and they will do anything to stop you from trying out anything that will affect their job.
Ethan
2009-03-24 11:49:10 UTC
The most common way(without administrater access) is to use a DDOS or DOS attack. You can't really defend against these just try to make copies or back-up important files. DOS or DDOS use bots to keep pining or accessing the server. If he is doing it from his 1 computer than don't worry he can't do much. But if he has a large network he could crash the server.
Jerbson
2009-03-24 11:37:03 UTC
They'd need admin access for one. Hopefully a school districts server would be backed up. Any Network Admin that didn't back up data would have to be an idiot. I wouldn't worry.
2016-03-02 04:19:24 UTC
Er... You don't do that. If you're really, honestly interested in doing such a thing (and angering lots of game players) then it's best for you to not ask this question here. You'll just get flamed and not receive any helpful advice. Why not try Googling it. Find a forum that specializes in such things.
2009-03-24 11:35:28 UTC
a server will go down when to many people try to access it at the same time
Ritesh Patel
2009-03-24 11:40:28 UTC
if your server will crash then also your data will be thare only operation system will be effacted . After that installing os will resolve problem.
ken
2015-03-21 12:40:10 UTC
mabye a signal has lost controll
2009-03-24 11:32:33 UTC