Question:
what should i buy for my cisco lab?
2009-05-17 11:47:13 UTC
hi
I want to buy some cisco switch and router that can helo me obtain my ccnp and CCIE
last week i bought 2 router(2611,2620) but dissapointed with the as they are not supporting ssh and 1 switch(2950)

this is my current lab

2x2501
2x1924en
1x2924
2x1603
1x2611
1x2620
1x1800 router

as 1924 command is outdated , i am using 2924 and 2950 as my main switch by that i mean for practicing spt or vlan or vtp

but i want to buy another switch that is not so expensive and can take me all the way to ccie and support most new feature

can any one please give me some suggestion about what else would i need to add to my lab and what sitch and router could take me all the way to CCIE

any help appreciate it

tnx
Four answers:
Stephen Dugan
2009-05-20 21:52:38 UTC
You will need to move up to the 2800 series for its versatility and because the GUI interface that cisco is starting to test on.

The 2600s do support SSH if you update the code, BUT you will have IPV6 routing issues when prepping for the BSCI test.

You need to get some layer 3 switches! My choice would be the 3560 and 3750 series. Get 24 FE + 2 GB on the 3560. And GE ports on the 3750. One switch with POE is also good for test prep and for powering APs and IP phones, so having that to play with is nice.

Also for the BCMSN class you should get a Wireless LAN controller (WLC2106) and a couple APs (1242ag)

As for the CCIE prep... ALWAYS prep on what Cisco says they are testing on. See the link below for the current equipment list and IOS level. This information might be different by the time you are ready to go after the CCIE, so check back when you are. OH, one more thing. DO NOT prep for the CCIE lab BEFORE you have taken the written. Prep for the written exam first. When you pass... then start the 500 hour (low ball estimation) lab prep journey to becoming a CCIE.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Dugan, CCSI
erich k
2009-05-18 15:01:20 UTC
Find a 3550 layer 3 switch, in fact find two. They are very useful and you'll find them in the ccie lab, unless its changed since I took it.

Sell the 1924's they are garbage. the 2950 should do everything you need for layer 2.

Good luck
Jason P
2009-05-17 12:28:06 UTC
You really shouldn't need all of those switches. IOS is IOS. Just my two cents.
2009-05-21 09:27:16 UTC
I bought this one: http://www.techawave.com/techawave/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=596750