Question:
Bootflash file for Cisco Catalyst 2948g L3 Switch?
Prince
2013-04-24 09:47:44 UTC
Hi Guy,

I deleted my boot flash from the switch and now am unable to load up anything. On start up this is what I am getting...

ROMMON: Cold Reset frame @0x00000000
ROMMON: Reading reset reason register
ROMMON: Valid NVRAM config

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(7)W5(15) RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.

ROMMON: Initializing exceptions
ROMMON: Initializing TLB
ROMMON: Initializing cache
ROMMON: Sizing and zeroing main memory ... 64 MBytes
ROMMON: Sizing non-volatile memory ... 128 KBytes

cat2948g platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

device does not contain a valid magic number
boot: cannot open "bootflash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "bootflash:"
rommon 1 >
rommon 1 >
rommon 1 >

I have done a little digging around and it seems the only way to solve this is to re-install the boot flash file using xmodem which is fine, but the file is nowhere to be found. Cisco have a 2948g L2 on their website but I need a special log in to get it.

Does anyone know where I can get this file of know of any other solution ?

Many Thanks!
Three answers:
?
2013-04-24 12:28:42 UTC
You'll have to look around for someplace that provides IOS images. Cisco requires you to have a valid support contract first.

I'm not sure, but at one time anyone could have a login to Cisco.com, and I think you get IOS images for obsolete hardware (not familiar with 2948g), so if that's the case, give that a try. Also, if you happen to live near somewhere that has a Cisco Academy learning program, the instructors have access to any firmware. So if you asked nicely...
2013-04-25 09:50:55 UTC
Have you tried to see if the file is actually still there in flash?

It looks like it's expecting to find the OS in bootflash: so try these commands from the command prompt

show bootflash:

dir bootflash:

Although you could try these as well

show flash:

dir flash:

It is possible the file has just been marked for deletion, if so you can recover it with the undelete command

What you're looking for is a .bin file showing [deleted] at the end of the line

You can check this general document though about file management in flash

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/configuration/guide/cf_filesystem_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1025541
2016-12-08 16:10:04 UTC
Catalyst 2948g-l3