Question:
Is there any command in Cisco IOS that determine a connected computer's MAC address or a computer's info?
Miyong B
2008-01-29 17:51:57 UTC
I know of the "show cdp neighbor" command in cisco that shows information of the active switches/routers connected to the switch i'm trying to monitor thru console, but is there any other command or way i can determine a computer workstation's info or just a MAC address perhaps which is connected to the switch i'm monitoring thru console?

by the way i use Cisco 2950, 2960, 2960G, 3750 switches in our workplace.
Three answers:
2008-01-29 18:01:08 UTC
We use this on the aggregate routers (layer 2 and 3 routers):

sh ip arp (type an IP)

#this will give you the mac, copy and paste it

sh mac-address-table address *paste the mac here*

#this will give interface info, eg mac is on fa0/1

sh int fa0/ *whatever*

When you do the descriptions make them what interface its connected to, say you have a router which has 2 gig links to a switch make the description link switch link 1 and switch link 2. It seems pointless but when you get to MASSIVE cisco networks its a really easy way of finding errors. E.g say you have a duplicate IP, you can search on the router and eventually recover which switch has the duped IP, then logging into that switch and using the sh mac-address-table address command you can see the individual device (the switch interface description should be what computers it is, e.g server 1).

Theres sh vlan brief and sh int status, there quite good.
2016-04-08 08:51:51 UTC
If you are running Windows, go to Start (taskbar), go to Accessories, then open Command Prompt type in ipconfig/all that should show information about your current network status. See Physical Address that is the MAC Address
dunkin17325
2008-01-29 17:58:29 UTC
# show mac-address-table address 0002.3F39.BFE6

# show cdp neighbor Gi0/1 detail