Question:
Help please, I have a 2wire router installed by AT&T but i want to connect my Linksys 54G router to it?
2008-01-21 23:27:07 UTC
I want to connect my Linksys 54G router to it's ethernet connection and use it to do my wireless LAN with. I also have 50ft of ethernet wire (CAT6), a Linksys Print Server, a Linksys switch, and a Netgear 54G router, if that helps
Five answers:
2008-01-22 03:29:18 UTC
just as clarification... the linksys will work fine as previously suggested, use it only as a switch/wap

log into the linksys, and give it a static IP address on the LAN (note, nothing you do will be with the WAN, only the LAN), usually the modem for DSL would be something on the 192.168.1.X range with X = 1 or 254 (usually, this may not be your case, go to start, run, type "cmd" and enter to get to a command prompt, and type "ipconfig /all", that will tell you)

after the static IP, disable DHCP, and connect an ethernet cable from any of the numbered ports on the 2wire, to any of the numbered ports on the linksys. I would also enable Wireless Security WEP or WPA/WPA2 (WPA/WPA2 preferred with a passkey)

after that, the linksys should pass through the 2wire DHCP, and work just as a dumb wireless access point, using any security protocols you've implemented.

This can be done with most wireless routers, not just linksys.. I have a linksys, belkin, d-link.. they all work basically the same. And, if you give the linksys an IP address in your range, you can edit it whenever you need to, to adjust security.. you just can't disconnect it from the 2wire without giving your computer a static IP, as it won't be handing out addresses anymore.
mza
2008-01-21 23:35:52 UTC
First you must hook the Linksys up directly to your computer, login to it and disable DHCP. Have it setup to obtain an ip address automaticly for a connection. You can now proceed to plug it into one of the routers computer ports 1-4. Don't forget to unplug the power to everything after you set it up.
Taba
2008-01-22 02:45:07 UTC
Your 2wire is a modem/router combo unit, so you will be unable to use your linksys router sorry.

You can purchase a dsl modem and use it instead of the 2wire unit and then connect your router to the new modem.
Julian R
2008-01-21 23:33:57 UTC
Is the 2 wire wireless. Some of those aleady have wireless built in.
poppy1
2008-01-22 02:10:41 UTC
Hi Ghost flame, Get ahold of at&t and they will help you with this..

A Friend,

poppy1