Question:
If I need to split an ethernet cord into several computers, do I need a switch or a router?
Kevin J
2010-02-04 16:24:08 UTC
I have an ethernet cable coming from a modem and I need to split it so that several computers can access the internet. This is not something that will be there permanently, so issues of privacy / file sharing / firewalls can be disregarded.

Switches seem to be considerably cheaper than routers. So will this work with just a switch or do I need a router?
Ten answers:
Adrian
2010-02-04 16:32:27 UTC
You have to use a router to share the internet with more than one computer. To add more LAN ports, you can add a switch after the router...
Chris N
2010-02-05 01:46:51 UTC
Wow a lot of answers, well hopefully you will read my entire answer before deciding on best answer.

Now not sure what you know about Networking wired and wireless connections. So I will give you some general information that will cover both wired & wireless including some security suggestions for the wireless.

Majority of the Internet Service Provider (ISP) that are broadband aka high speed. Provide a device that many refer to as a "modem" which actually is a router or wireless router. Let's go with this being scenario that you are using Verizon DSL or Comcast or U-verse. If yes then they will provide free technical support. You can ask them what device you have or you can look for one or more antenna's sticking out from it. That will let you know if wireless now the steps I am giving will be for a Linksys Wireless Router, shown below in this answer.

If yes then you are using a Wireless Router which can be such brands as 2Wire, Linksys, or Motorola. I would suggest if you do not have any of those then either buy a Linksys Wireless N Router or Netgear Wireless N Router.

Now lets cover the wired first which is what you will do before setting up the wireless part of the network. If you have not put in the CD into your computer to setup the wired network.

Then we will start with plug in the Ethernet cable into their modem; since most are routers. Then put the CD into your computer. Now that you have followed those steps. Note the Routers IP address in the manual listed in the software of that CD and or paperwork that was provided by the ISP. You should also see the user name and password. Make notes of this on an easy access paper or at least keep the CD/Manual in safe place so it will not get lost or damaged.

Of if no CD/Manual then follow the steps below. This Mac Filtering and setting up for WPA2 will ensure the best security for your wireless network. Any computer that does not have that MAC Address can not get online. WPA2 prevents some one from hacking into your WiFi signal and then changing any settings as well, it is the highest form of encryption. This link will provide you with interactive screens and instructions too. SSID hides the connection and further deters some one from finding your broadcasting of that connection it works better at deter novice users.

MAC Address Filtering -

http://www1.linksys.com/support/troubleshoot/wireless/wireless_router_config/wireless_mac_filtering.html

Hiding the SSID -

http://www1.linksys.com/support/troubleshoot/wireless/wireless_router_config/ssid.html

WPA2 -

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=17247&p_created=1224060004

If you do not have any wireless cards or wireless USB devies in any of the computers. Then you can plug in Ethernet cables to each of them.

If you do not have a wireless router or router and it is only a modem then go buy one of the wireless routers; mentioned above in my answer. You will also need to buy Ethernet cables for connecting to each computer to that router from there to the modem.

Hopefully this has helped you, if you have any more questions just ask.

btw.. if some body would answer my question - https://answersrip.com/question/index?qid=20100203200329AAShfqI - Thanks!
2010-02-05 00:26:46 UTC
If it is coming directly from the modem, a router is required.

Reason is that like a switch, a router could control the movement of data to prevent the data colisions that would plummet network performance.

Unlike a switch, consumer versions of routers have a build in Network address translator and DHCP service inside the device. These services are what allow multiple computer systems to use the same internet connection.
IceT
2010-02-05 00:27:20 UTC
If you are coming directly from the ISP modem and you want the best protection from intrusion I would get a router with a built in firewall. They usually have at least 4 ports.

If security isn't important then all you need is a switch. All ISP modems for home use are bridged and will assign IP addresses to multiple computers.
pyro_mitch
2010-02-05 00:29:06 UTC
it really depends on where the connection you want to split is coming from. if the connection to be split is coming from a router then you will only need a switch. if the connection is running from a modem then you will need a router as the modem cannot assign more than 1 IP adress
Eli
2010-02-05 00:31:34 UTC
No, simply take a knife and run it down the cat 5, then take one of the different colored wires and tape it to the Ethernet port on the back of each pc, viola! Let me know how it turns out.
2010-02-05 00:27:05 UTC
A router is best but only if you have wireless.
sirius
2010-02-05 00:27:57 UTC
for a plain networking you can use only switch, but if you want to use router, try linux routers, it's open source, you can use your old pc and revert it to be a router
Mike J
2010-02-05 00:26:29 UTC
router

a cheap D-Link or Dynex brand should do the trick
William L
2010-02-05 00:27:37 UTC
It all depends on where the computers are located.